Thursday, April 23, 2015

CEHHS Student Highlight: Rachael Smart- Winner of CEHHS 2015 Outstanding Student Employee Award

I began going to school at CEHHS in the Fall of 2010 and began working in the Dean’s office February of 2011. I have always had an interest in teaching from an early age. I've had many great teachers growing up that have inspired me to become a great teacher myself. As a future educator, I see my teaching philosophy as one that applies to all children and all teaching scenarios. I believe that all children have the capability to thrive within the classroom. What impacts the way children learn is the manner in which material is presented and how it is individualized and differentiated for the learner. By ensuring that I personally know my students and can identify their strengths, weaknesses, and learning styles I can guarantee that I am guiding the children’s learning in an effective and positive manner. 

When I first began, the CEHHS was known as the "School of Education". The classes were relatively small and the college was more quiet and separated from the rest of campus.  In the past two years the School has grown into the College of Education, Health, and Human Services and has grown exponentially. There is many more avenues for campus involvement, student organizations, and collaborative events that allow the faculty and the CEHHS student body to come together outside of the classroom experience. 

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services has given me the opportunity and platform to continue working on my leadership skills, communication abilities, and community outreach projects. By providing me with these opportunities, I have been able to branch out into the community and to get a hands-on experience with issues that I feel are important. I am very excited for field placement experience this coming Fall and other teaching opportunities that the future holds. It has taken a time but all of the things I have learned made the wait worthwhile. I am excited to finally be able to get out into the teaching field!

By Rachael Smart

No comments:

Post a Comment