Friday, December 20, 2013

Turning the Page, Not Closing the Book

This is my 157th and final blog posting as dean of the College of Education, Health, and Human Services (formerly the School of Education) at UM- Dearborn. On January 1, 2014 I resume my life as professor of education and mathematics on the Ann Arbor campus.

I am delighted to have been able to follow the footsteps of Paul D. Carter. Those who know their campus history know that three faculty were hired in 1960 to launch the education program at what was then the Dearborn Center of the University of Michigan. Carter, who was an associate professor at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, was selected to be the first head of teacher education, and he held appointment on both campuses until his retirement.

I am confident that Paul Carter would agree with me that it is a very special personal and professional privilege to be affiliated with both campuses and have an opportunity to serve the University of Michigan in this multidimensional way.

I depart this campus with thoughts and feelings of gratitude and optimism. To all who have supported me in my work over the past 3.5 years – faculty, staff, and administrators both within my academic unit and across the campus – I say thank you. I am very pleased with what we have been able to accomplish together, and I am bullishly optimistic about the future of the college and the university. Yesterday, the new dean of CEHHS, Dr. Janine Janosky, was appointed by the Board of Regents, and I am confident that the college will thrive under her leadership.

I return to Ann Arbor as a great fan of the University of Michigan-Dearborn. This campus adds a special, important dimension to the University of Michigan by providing a transformative educational experience to the residents of southeast Michigan, who in turn shape the future of the region. The opportunity to be part of this campus community is something that I will treasure always.

With All Good Wishes,

Ed Silver

No comments:

Post a Comment